This section provides an introduction to the theory of SEA. Here you will learn:
- what SEA is and why it is needed
- how it can be used as a planning tool
- how it links to sustainable development and project environmental impact assessment
- limitations of SEA
- where SEA is being used.
If you want more information on any part of this section, you may want to refer to
- Dalal-Clayton, B. and B. Sadler (2005) Strategic Environmental Assessment: A Sourcebook and Reference Guide to International Experience, Earthscan, London.
- Therivel, R. (2004) Strategic Environmental Assessment in Action, Earthscan, London.
The 'references' section near the end of the course gives full references to these books.